I absolutely love my French life. The past two weeks I have really settled into Lyon. I constantly meet new people from all over the world. Two different maps are always in my purse. I discover a new part of this huge city everyday. But even in a city of millions, I accidentally run into friends around town. In my neighborhood, the waitress at the café recognizes me. I can sometimes even give directions.
I would be lying if I pretended everything has gone perfectly. For the first time in my life, I am not a student. I’m starting my post-graduate life in another country, which adds another layer of difficulty to an already tough transition. Frustrations undoubtedly lead to bouts of homesickness. Looking back I know I experienced homesickness when studying abroad in Angers. But back then I was so incredibly busy with classes and homework, I did not have time to realize I was homesick. Here, I only started working this past week, leaving me a lot more time to be homesick. Not to worry though, the spells of homesickness end quickly when I go out for a nutella crepe with my wonderful roommates or a café crème with a friend.
I should have started teaching on October 1st. In typical slow-paced French fashion, I actually started teaching this past Monday, approximately two and a half weeks later. I’ll tell you about my first week of teaching later, but for now here are some highlights of my couple weeks of paid vacation.
Besides lots of errands with my roommates, many afternoons spent lounging in cafés or parks, and evening drinks (apéros in French) at English pubs or friend’s apartments, I have also spent time being a tourist. One Wednesday afternoon I planned with a group of other assistants to visit a museum. Our first attempt, the World War II Resistance museum, was closed…due to a strike. How French. After stopping at a café (of course) and watching a movie being filmed on the square in front of city hall, we tried again and went to the Musée des Beaux Arts (art museum). The museum is built inside an old church/monastery and features art and artifacts from ancient Egyptian up to the modern works of Picasso. Although a few rooms were closed, because of the museum workers strike (seriously, I kid not), I had a great afternoon.
Two Saturdays ago the Hôtel de Ville (city hall) building was open for visitors. It is only open one day a year, so I certainly did not miss the chance to tour the beautiful building constructed in the mid-1600s with some assistant friends.

Me at the City Hall

The whole group at City Hall, with the Opera Building behind us
Inside we found an interesting mix of ballrooms decorated in the style of the Second Empire of France, a modernly decorated mayor’s office, and practical conference rooms.
The following Sunday after church a couple friends and I went to a “salon,” meaning an exhibition of traditional food and wine from the area. With free tickets my friend Erin’s teacher had given her, we were lucky enough to spend the afternoon tasting cheese, wine, frog legs, wine, meats, wine, sauces, wine, desserts, and…did I mention wine? All for free. Needless to say we had a great time and even took some delicious treats home.
Friday before I went to the city hall I actually did kind of work. The school district had an orientation meeting for all the English assistants in the city that I attended for much of the day. Although the district employees were generally unhelpful, I got some helpful ideas to use in the classroom in the afternoon session. Even better though, I met tons more English assistants in the area (there are about 60ish in total). After the meeting, I went off to a café with new friends I had met that day. Some of these new friends were a married couple, both English assistants, who very kindly ended up inviting me and another assistant over for a delicious home-cooked meal (much better than my sorry attempts at cooking). We spent the night dreaming about vacation plans for the rest of the year. I finished the long day with drinks at a Scottish pub, a popular ex-pat hangout in Lyon. The place was packed, both with locals and other assistants I had met that day, many of which were British. I had an enjoyable night, especially when the live band played an amazing Britney cover.
Now that I’ve caught up to this past weekend, I’ll stop here. But be prepared for a post tomorrow about the most random and surreal, yet awesome night of my time here so far. Oh, and I may talk about my job a bit…




1 comment:
Jaime,
I can't wait to hear about your teaching experience. Since you haven't posted since Oct. 23, I am guessing you are exhausted at night or too busy.
Welcome to my world.
Aunt Ruth Ann
Post a Comment